Email marketing genius, copywriter, and programmer Josh Earl joins Ken and Craig for a candid discussion on email marketing techniques.
“If you’re wanting to reach out to influencers: sign up for people’s email lists, and then respond to their emails.”–@josh_earl
About Josh Earl
Josh is an expert email and direct response copywriter, email marketer, viral giveaways expert, programmer, and podcaster.
What others are saying about Josh Earl:
“Josh Earl is one of the few people that I’ve ever trusted to ghostwrite for me. It’s a demanding job because I have a reputation in the marketing world as the guy who writes the best emails in the business. Josh is a very thorough researcher. He gets the style and tone exactly right. He is ideal for speaking to an audience that pays close.”
—Perry Marshall, Google AdWords guru and author of the best-selling Definitive Guide to Google AdWords and 80/20 Sales & Marketing
“[Josh] has really impressed me with his ability to solve complex sales issues, and swoop in like a copywriting Batman and fix bad copy. We all get too close to our work and need that extra set of eyes, and Josh is a pair of eyes that I really trust. His email copywriting is super impressive. He’s got the rare ability to pack in a lot of valuable information in a conversational tone, and—here’s the really magic part—make you want to read more. It’s a rare gift.”
—Kevin Rogers, Multi-Million Dollar Copywriter and Founder, CopyChief.com
In this show, we discuss:
- List Building
- When is it actually worth it?
- How do you know what you can expect to get out of your list?
- Why would I need thousands on my list if I can only every have a handful of customers for my service business?
- How to convert customers from a drip campaign
- The value of a good welcome sequence: 8-10 touches within the first two weeks.
- Don’t let customers forget why they signed up for your list.
- How personal do you get in your email copy?
- Keep it relevant
- Tie it into a concise business lesson
- Draw lessons to share from your everyday life
- Useful frameworks/defaults for email copy
- AIDA: Attention, Interest, Desire, Action
- Just write, then remove the first few sentences (like clearing your throat)
- Have categories of emails handy:
- Q & A
- Sales Page using the Problem/Agitate/Solve framework
- Discretion as to when to use each framework. Sometimes, a long story isn’t the right way to go.
- Don’t be afraid to charge early in the funnel
- Find ways to contribute value to influencers (guest posts, etc); get your traffic from pre-qualified sources
- How & why to craft an Email Marketing Strategy for more traditional, brick-and-mortar businesses
- Don’t overlook direct mail for high value leads
- High quality leads vs. high volumes of leads
- If you’re wanting to reach out to influencers: sign up for people’s email lists, and then… RESPOND TO THEIR EMAILS.
- Try Ben Settle‘s Repulsion Marketing
Resources we mentioned in this show:
- Perry Marshall 80/20 Sales & Marketing
- Kevin Roger’s CopyChief.com
- Kevin Roger’s 60-Second Sales Hook
- Ben Settle’s Double Your Sales with Email course
- Perry Marshall’s Auto Responder Bootcamp
- Andre Chaperon’s Auto Responder Madness
- Brian Kurtz
- Josh Earl’s contributed to Noah Kagen’s “Email 1k — 30 Days to Grow Your Email List” free email course
- Josh Earl’s Guest Post on Pat Flynn’s SmartPassiveIncome.com: “What I Learned From Growing My Email List 3,418% (Nearly 200k) in Just 11 Days”
- How to Create Your Own Viral Giveaway with KingSumo
- Josh Earl featured on the Kissmetrics blog: “How to Use a Giveaway to Accelerate the Growth of Your Email List”
- Edgar: Social Media Management & Scheduling Tool
Special Gift for You from Josh Earl
Download Josh Earl’s Email Marketing Cheatsheet, exclusive for listeners of this show:
If you enjoyed the show: please, right now, head over to iTunes and leave us a 5-star review.